Wednesday 4 March 2015

Milestones | Equal Measures | Track By Track Guide


Averaging an age of just 18 (17 when they wrote and recorded Equal Measures in 2014, with former Bring Me The Horizon / now All Time Low sound guy Phil Gornell), Milestones have meticulously constructed five songs that positively belie their young age and relative inexperience. The EP is the glorious, compelling sound of raw, natural talent put to the test. Tracks such as anthemic single ‘Nothing Left’ offering up simple but soaring melodies that tingle the nape of your neck and leave you totally hooked. Here vocalist Matt Clarke guides you through each of the 5 tracks…


Track 1 - More To Me:
More To Me focuses on the first theme of the EP: losing family and friends. MTM is focused on a personal time for myself, of when a loved one was terminally ill. It shows my frustration of the lack of support I received from those who I'd been giving it to for years. We recorded MTM aside from the rest of the EP. We'd only practiced together a few times before we headed to the studio in September. It was a load of fun because we hadn't learnt how best to budget ourselves, so we got a hotel and had a load of fun being a band. Although we don't regret it one bit, because it created a great initial vibe of recording with Phil and Sheffield as a city.

Track 2 - Equal Measures:
Equal Measures was probably the easiest recorded, it was the least changed and the quickest to create. Lyrically it focuses on how changing certain aspects of your life can turn you upside down. The term "Equal Measures" is about regaining balance and composure.

Track 3 - Nothing Left:
Nothing Left is probably the most honest track on the EP, it focuses on the second theme of the EP: losing love. I recall finding it particularly hard to record "I didn't think that you'd leave me on this day, when the car drew up I refused to feel the weight" because those lyrics were probably the most personal I'd ever written... It's a direct train of thought I had on possibly the worst day of my life. I really shocked myself when I made it through all of that, but I suppose I have my band mates to thank for that!

Track 4 - Counterweight:
I personally wrote acoustic track Counterweight before the band was practicing, with Drew helping to later adapt it once we decided to use it. It's a great little sing along that I feel has a good impact on the EP, allowing the dynamics of the record to really show.

Track 5- Sleepless Nights Are Put To Bed:
I suppose this track is self-explanatory. It seemed fitting to put this one at the end due to the entire EP's journey lyrically and musically, coming to a resolving end on this track. This one is probably the harshest side of our sounds; the most aggressive for sure. I believe that after a certain time you should stop allowing yourself to be upset and just draw a line. That's what this song was, the line for me, and I've never looked back.” 

Equal Measures is out the 6th of April. Watch the video for 'More to Me' below. You can also check out the video for Nothing Left here



Milestones' Facebook | Twitter | Bandcamp | Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment